After William Calder Marshall, RA (1813-1894)

Cast Iron

Reproduction of a ca. 1867 piece

Robertson Iron Works, Alexander City, Alabama

Sabrina is the goddess of the River Severn from Milton’s Comus, first published in 1634. Historic photographs of the Belmont grounds show the statue in the approximate location where it sits today.  Sabrina appears as number 106 [3 ft. 5 in. tall] in the 1858 Beebe Catalogue and again in the 1870 Janes, Kirtland & Company Catalog.  Additionally, the statue appears in the 1873, 1875 and 1890 catalogues of Mott & Company [1].  This statue is a copy of the famous marble statue by William Calder Marshall, RA (1813-1894). The original marble statue was exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1847.  An engraving of the statue was published in the Art Journal of London in 1849.  In the same year the Manchester Art Union issued the piece in Parian (an unglazed porcelain) made by Copeland of England.  Copeland exhibited their Parian statue as part of an exhibit at the Great Exhibition in 1851 in London also known as the Crystal Palace Exhibition [2].

 

---

[1] Grissom, Carol A. Zinc Sculpture in America:  1850-1950. (Newark: University of Delaware Press, 2009), 247.

[2] The Parian Phenomenon:  A Survey of Victorian Parian Porcelain Statuary & Bust, ed. Paul Atterbury, (Somerset, England: Richard Dennis).

​​

Elopement Packages at Belmont Mansion

Intimate and elegant wedding ceremonies are popular at Belmont Mansion! 

 

Visit BelmontMansionEvents.com to review options to Elope in Nashville at Belmont Mansion. 

Affordable Nashville Elopements start here!

GPS ADDRESS

Belmont Blvd & Acklen Avenue 

Nashville, TN 37212

MAILING ADDRESS

1900 Belmont Blvd

Nashville, TN 37212

615-460-5459

  • Facebook Clean
  • Twitter Clean
  • Instagram Clean
  • White Pinterest Icon

The architecture of Belmont Mansion makes it one of the most significant homes of 19th century Tennessee.

Sold by the Acklen family in 1887, the house went to a developer who began one of Nashville’s early suburbs.

It was then purchased by two women who in 1890 started a college which evolved into Belmont University. Today the Belmont Mansion Association, which was formed in 1972, owns the collection, runs the museum, and shares this unique story of 19th century Nashville with visitors from far and near.

Photos by Ed Houk