Robert Wood & Company, Philadelphia
Soon after the end of the Civil War, these two gazebos located in near the front steps of Belmont Mansion, we added to the Belmont landscape. The Battle of Nashville was fought in the surrounding area and as a result, the grounds suffered significant damage. The post-war years included a major re-landscaping campaign at Belmont and the addition of these gazebos. Early photographs of the structures reveal the appearance of a wood shake roof. This is in keeping with the naturalist or rustic designs used following the Civil War. This gazebo is no. 703 in the 1858 Wood & Perot catalogue and does not appear in the 1870 Robert Wood catalogue.