The Lost Service Stair
Belmont Mansion’s spaces hidden below stairs functioned as the “control center” of Adelicia’s estate. A large kitchen, food storage areas, wine cellar, as well as a probable summer dining room were all located below the principle floor. Though it was far from a dark dank basement, the lower level had full daylight as the hill falls away quickly from the rear of the residence.
This staircase saw the delivery of all meals to both dining rooms on the main level. Fresh and dirty linen, along with other laundry, was also carried up and down these stairs. Any servant, whether enslaved or free, would be more familiar with the spaces below stairs than the elaborate rooms above. Their main point of access to the Acklens would have been this staircase.
We long suspected the service stair was located in the gallery between the two dining rooms, but all evidence had been lost when new oak flooring was installed about 1900 over the original marbleized floor. When two layers of modern flooring were removed in recent weeks, the location of the service stairs was revealed.
The 1853 stair outline was intact. We were able to determine not only the width and length of the stair, but also the direction from which it ran. An analysis of surviving evidence (worn floor boards) revealed the head of the stair began at the edge of the formal dining room opposite the service pantry. Further examination determined the point of attachment of the railing enclosing the opening. A repair to the architrave of the formal dining room door at the height of the balustrade offered evidence of the direction in which the stairs ran.
We now know dimensions of the balusters (erroneously known as spindles) used in the rail due to “ghost” marks remaining on Adelicia’s marbleized floor. It was also possi